Acupuncture is an ancient form of Chinese Medicine in which fine needles are inserted into the skin at certain points on the body.
At The Physio Room we only use acupuncture as part of your treatment (rather than on its own), when used appropriately it can be a very useful tool for reducing pain and muscle tension.
Common conditions we treat with acupuncture:
- Acute and chronic low back pain and neck pain
- Nerve pain such as sciatica
- Acute painful joints
- Tendon related problems such as tennis elbow
- Headaches and migraines
What you can expect
Your physiotherapist will advise and explain the acupuncture procedure fully.
- Sterile needles will be inserted into your skin at various points and some needles may be inserted well away from the part of the body being treated.
- The needles may be left in place for a few seconds or up to 15 minutes depending upon the
- There may be a mild aching around the needle or a stronger muscle twitch felt when it is stimulated.
The acupuncture needle is extremely fine and is often hardly felt when inserted. Physiotherapists practise the highest standards of medical hygiene using only sterile, disposable needles for acupuncture.
Acupuncture is safe and natural but it is important you tell your physiotherapist about any medical conditions including haemophillia, hepatitis, HIV status or if you are pregnant.